try DIY landscaping?
If you have decided to undertake the landscaping yourself, then it is important to understand the skills required to build the features in your garden efficiently (for financial reasons) and safety.
Not just your safety during construction, but the safety of those using the garden once landscaping is complete. If you are not competent to carry out this work, you must seek professional advice.
| Rectifying poor quality work can prove more expensive than employing a contractor in the first place. Remember, garden features such as patios and associated drainage are covered by Building Regs.|
Mistakes could show up on any building surveys if you sell your home, or worse still with damp problems in yours or your neighbours house.
If in doubt, research your subject or ask the professionals. We have several good sources of practical landscaping advice on our website, along with links to landscaping tools and supplies .
landscaping your garden yourself
On a positive note you can possibly save between 40% and 50% of the total build cost by doing it yourself. A large amount of self satisfaction can be derived by landscaping your garden yourself, and you can involve the whole family.
key points to remember when undertaking a self-build garden makeover
Some key points to remember when undertaking a self-build garden makeover project include;
• Produce a detailed budget for all materials and services required, then add a healthy contingency.
• Access to your garden should be checked, where you can have materials delivered and stored.
• Plan an achievable work schedule with realistic targets. You will not work as quickly as an experienced and professional landscaper. It may be better to break the garden into individual projects and tackle them one by one.
• Be honest about your skills. If you cannot lay a patio properly ask a landscaper to quote for that job alone. You may regret poor quality workmanship for the sake of saving some labour costs.
• Ensure you use the right tools for the job in hand. It may be cost effective to hire certain power tools - if you know you will not need a concrete mixer again, but if you have a large quantity of cement to mix, it will be much quicker than mixing by hand.